Embracing Challenges: A Hike to a Great Adventure

Hi, friends.

Today, I want to share to you one of my greatest experiences yet. Stepping out of your comfort zone, as they say, exposes us to uncharted territory, leaving the familiarity and sense of security, but opens the possibility of a great adventure. Pondering on it for quite some time, I have then faced my fear and set my foot on the top of a mountain!

February 25, 2022 we went to Mt. Talamitam which is located in Nasugbu, Batangas. It is also known as the younger sister of Mt. Batulao located across it. According to the locals, its name came from the talamitam trees that used to grow on its slopes back then. Hopefully, they replant those trees so it could live up to its name again.

Mt. Talamitam is great for beginners like me. It is a minor climb and has a difficulty of 3/9, a height of 630+ MASL. Although others say that it does not offer a cool breeze, but when we went there it didn't disappoint us (as a first time hiker since I don't have any yet to compare it with). 

View of Mt. Batulao from our campsite.

We opted for a day hike so we could get the perfect spot to camp. We arrived at the jump point for the registration with a fee of P40 per person, then we started the trek. The trail to Talamitam, as I would say, is easy (except for the 60 degrees trek to the peak). It is manageable especially for those who does not have any hiking experience like me.

We passed by the river, and then we were welcomed by the forested trail. The sun was shining bright that time so the trail was not a problem. Along the trail was a store which offers buko (coconut) juice for a refreshing break. We were joined by 2 senior citizens (yes you read it right! Two grammas!!) which I apologetically forgot the names but they were from Carmona, Cavite and like to hike.

Halfway to the Summit. A few meters from where we camp off.

Left: View is Mt. Talamitam; Right: View is Mt. Batulao

It was, I think, nearly 11 o'clock in the morning when we got to the spot where we decided to camp. It took us more or less an hour and half. We were embraced by strong winds and a stunning view.

Not the official campsite but this tree was a good shade, plus we were separated from other campers.

Team Talamitam <3

Three quarters past 4, when the sunrays did not hurt that much anymore, we decided to ascend to the summit. It was a 30-45 minute trek from were we camp off.

When we reached the final leg of the 60-degree assault, panic started to creep in. It felt like I was floating due to the steepness and the strong wind that kept on blowing against me. Though the view was great, I cannot set my eyes on it as I was already shivering and panicking. The trail was so slippery and dusty, and there were parts that have no wild canes so you can see the ground below. I felt like any moment I would fall when I slipped plus the strong wind force that was pushing me.

After a short while, but felt like a whole day of shivering, panicking and worrying, we have reached the summit and witnessed the sunset on the side. I was still shivering in panic this time as I was thinking how I could go down with that kind of slippery and dusty trail. There is a connecting trail where you can take if you want to go to the peak of Mt. Apayang. I could not take another meters of trek to its summit so after a few snaps, we started to descend as the night was also gradually creeping in.

sorry for my stressed face, you can see from my look the stress I had upon climbing to the summit. heheheh :)
look at how I held on to the signboard. hahahaha. I was still shivering at this moment

A hot pork sinigang was the best part of a cold, windy, and chill night. After hours of laughs and drinks, we dozed off to a cold and windy night. It felt like a super typhoon was hitting us, good thing that our windbreaker tent withstand the night.

We woke up to a cloudy morning with light rain showers. The summit was covered with clouds, the sunrise was nowhere to be found, and the Mt. Batulao was also covered with fog. After a chill breakfast, we broke the camp and started to descend.

We decided to go to the river for a good dip before we head back home. The water was so cold but it was very refreshing. At the other side of the river was a place where you can take a shower. The price was only P20 per pax. Then we ate at the restaurant that offers silog meals (choice of hotdog, ham, etc. with garlic fried rice—sinangag and egg—itlog) and Pares, a Filipino braised beef stew with garlic rice and a bowl of clear soup.

My first hike experience was great. I was so happy that I took the step of overcoming my fear of heights, which then rewarded me with a great experience of witnessing beautiful creations and a peace of mind.

You can watch my quick reel which sums up my experience. I hope you enjoy watching it and may it compels you to take the first step out of your boundaries too!

PS: I tried uploading the video itself but it exceeded the maximum file size. Try watching it from my twitter account instead. :)

PPS: Check out this drone shots video for a better visualization of Mt. Talamitam.

How to get to Mt. Talamitam?

By Public Transportation

  • From Pasay or Alabang, ride a bus going to Nasugbu, Batangas. It could take 3-4 hours depending on the traffic.
  • Ask the driver to drop you to the jump off point at Sitio Bayabasan.
  • Pay the registration fee of P40.
  • Start the trek.

By Private Car
  • Pin the jump off point at Sitio Bayabasan to your waze or google maps.
  • Pay the registration fee of P40.
  • Start the trek.

Travel guide to Mt. Talamitam
  • There is no food stores in the area so bring food and water before starting your trek.
  • There is also no comfort room in the trail and summit.
  • If you are a first timer in the area, getting a tour guide is recommended. There is a P500 fee for 5-8 pax.
  • Camp in the area but take care of your trash. Leave no trace.

Thanks for spending time with me.  See you in my next post! 


Hugs,


0 Comments

Say hello! ♡

I love to hear anything from you.