The Eco-Adventure Begins

Ladies, this post is for you. But gentlemen are free to read this too. ♥

Proper hygiene prevents the spread of diseases and infections, so we were taught to take good care of ourselves——and that includes our V area. There are myriad ways on how to keep ourselves safe and neat. For girls, one way to do it is how we choose the safest pads during the "time of the month".

We are all accustomed to using regular disposable pads during our monthlies. We cannot deny that a pad with an adhesive you just stick on, doff off, and toss away is a life saver.

Choosing a pad product is not a concern before. You only have to pick which brand has the quality of your taste. But now that we are living in a time of heightened environmentalism, other options that support the campaign continue to rise. With that, I made a switch.

The story of my switch.

I always see the facebook story of my grade school classmate about her son using cloth diapers. With consistently seeing it, the thought got into me. "The little boy is doing so much for the environment, even if he is not aware yet, so why can't I do the same?". That thought resonated in my head, then I knew I need to change my way of living. Clearly, we know that it's his mother who chose to do something for the environment, but the little boy compelled me to. I ditched the disposables and switched for the reusable cloth pad or the modern-day pasador.


You might be thinking, "OK, you changed into a complicated life, what did you gain from it?" Here's the pros and cons.

The Pros

As I say, reusable cloth pad is earth-friendly. Using this helps reduce tons of disposed sanitary pads in the landfill. The reusable cloth pad lasts 3 to 5 years, sometimes longer depending on the use, versus single-use sanitary pads. Do the math and know how much you can help the environment.

Reusable cloth pad is also healthy and safe to use. I use the bamboo charcoal pad. It is soft, hypoallergenic, and organic. Unlike disposable pads, it does not contain harmful chemicals which can cause irritations and other serious medical problems. Of course, you still need to replace the pad every 4 to 6 hours, or as frequent as possible, to keep your V area safe.

Reusable cloth pads are economical. You save more in the long run. You won't shell out money every month by buying often. Just buy what you need depending on your flow. In my case, I bought 5 liners (small ones), 5 regular pads (for regular flow), and 3 long pads (for heavy flow), which I think are more than enough for me since I immediately wash the pad after I change. 

Experience leak-free and odor-free days. Reusable cloth pad uses polyurethane laminate (PUL) cloth which is waterproof but breathable, which allows the moisture to evaporate (yep, I did my research haha). The moisture won't get stuck and produce unwanted smell. It also dries quickly which makes the pad readily clean and available for next day's use.

Reusable cloth pad has snaps to keep it in place! You won't worry about getting the pad stuck in the wrong place. Also, it comes with cute prints which could perhaps lift your mood if you wear colorful patterns in your V area.

The Cons

Reusable cloth pads cost a lot initially than a pack of disposables. But since you will reuse it, think of it as an investment.

Carrying around used pads. If you are out and about, carrying used pads seems messy. But you can use a "wet bag" to keep these used pads safe until you get home. No leaks, no odor; they wouldn't know you are keeping something unlikely because the bag comes in cute prints too.

Using reusable cloth pad makes bath time longer than the usual. If you are always on the go, washing it during or right after you take a bath can be a hassle. But if you are not planning to wash it right away, you can soak it or let them dry until your next laundry or till you find time to wash it.

Reusable cloth pads are not available anywhere. Most can be purchased online and takes time to be shipped and delivered. So make sure you always carry a pad or two, just in case you have an untimely monthly visit.

In summary, the pros of using reusable cloth pads far outweighs the cons. Thus, if you opt for a cleaner, safer, and eco-friendly living, you can choose reusable cloth pads, though there are still things such as tampons and menstrual cup (will talk about that next time). If you want to source out for cloth pads, I got mine from Etoffe Creations in Lazada.

My last thoughts on this.

For me, using reusable cloth pad is a form of self-care, as it requires time and effort to keep it clean and safe to use. But I didn't regret switching, as I know using it means doing something for myself (which should be a priority too on top of being safe and healthy). Furthermore, the decision helps cut down my carbon footprint.

Lastly, I find it cute how a little boy impacted my life. Big thanks to little Austin and Erika, I came up with a better option to live life for the good of others while also doing good for myself. In an era of promoting self-love, I hope you still find a way to live for yourself that will also benefit others. :) There's no other planet. Let us be good stewards as if everything is ours.


Thanks for spending time with me.  See you in my next post! 


Hugs,

                                   

0 Comments

Say hello! ♡

I love to hear anything from you.